- Online courses with certificates from reputed universities like Harvard, Stanford, or big companies like Google and Microsoft add significant value to your resume.
- Today, most recruiters from large companies increasingly recognize these courses. They see relevant certificates as advantageous for an applicant.
- All the successful people I know are constantly sharpening their skills, and online courses are a great way to do that.
5 Best Free MOOC Websites For Taking Online Courses
How We Tested? We looked for the best education websites on the Internet with the highest quality courses and teachers, the widest variety of available topics, and those that offer the most specializations. After hours of research, we came up with this best list!
Whatever you’re interested in learning, chances are you can almost certainly find a course about it from the educational sites listed below.
edX is one of the largest massive open online course providers, giving tens of millions of users access to courses from top universities around the world.
- Founded by Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the initiative has absolutely no profit motive.
- The site now includes courses from the likes of Boston University, Caltech, Oxford University, UC Berkeley, UPenn, and dozens of other prestigious universities.
- You can learn college courses on everything from technology, design, architecture, ethics, language, finance, food, nutrition, medicine, music, physics, electronics, and more.
- The courses consist of weekly learning sequences composed of short videos interspersed with interactive learning exercises.
- edX is entirely open-source and is thus open to educators and technologists who want to develop new educational tools and add new features to the platform.
- Although the classes themselves are free, edX offers an optional certificate for a small fee to students who complete courses.
- You’ll receive an official credential from the University signed by the instructor to verify your achievement.
- Edx also offers a Master’s program and other Professional Certificates that are aimed at training people to meet the demands of the current job market.
- Content tends to be dominated by technology and the sciences. Certain courses are available only for a specific duration.
Coursera is among the early adopters of MOOC, and today, it boasts of hundreds of universities, making it one of the largest online learning platforms.
- Founded by professors at Stanford University, Coursera has tens of millions of users and offers thousands of online courses.
- Online courses include classes from Duke University, Princeton, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Johns Hopkins, Peking, HEC Paris, and hundreds more.
- Interestingly, Coursera also includes courses from the National Geographic Society, Museum of Modern Art, Berklee College of Music, and others.
- Also, it has partnered with companies like IBM, Google, Amazon, Cisco, Intel, PwC, and other such top companies to provide industry-relevant courses.
- Most of the Coursera courses are free to audit, but if you want to earn a course certificate, you will need to pay.
- The courses consist of pre-recorded video lectures that you can watch on a weekly schedule. They also have student discussion forums, assignments, and online exams.
- Coursera also offers Specialization Certificates, Master’s program, and full-time Online Degrees for a tuition fee.
- Courses are more focused on the tech field. Free classes mingle with fee-based classes, so you have to do some searching!
- Some courses are available only for a particular duration on this educational website.
Udemy differs from some of the other sites in that not all of the classes are free, and some of the classes are taught not by professors but by people who have excelled in their particular fields.
- Udemy has millions of students, thousands of expert instructors, and thousands of courses in multiple languages. Their courses are well-curated and updated regularly.
- Courses are offered across a breadth of categories, including business, entrepreneurship, academics, arts, health, fitness, language, music, hobbies, technology, and more.
- In terms of taking courses for hobbies, Udemy, without a doubt, is the best choice.
- Even though not most of the Udemy courses are free, they are inexpensive and affordable. Once you’ve enrolled in a course, you’ll have lifetime access to the content.
- You can download the Udemy app to take your learning mobile for quick lessons and study sessions when you’re on the go. You can also download courses for offline learning.
- Udemy awards Certificates signed by the instructor on successful completion of the course.
- There is also a money-back guarantee if the course doesn’t meet your expectations.
- Sadly, Udemy has lesser free courses. The fact that anyone can teach has led to many low-quality courses.
- Pricing models vary wildly, and pricing for the same course can change. The review system is not very helpful and needs to get better.
Udacity offers both online courses and credentials that teach students the skills that are currently in demand by industry employers.
- It offers a limited selection of courses, all computer science-related, with instruction from distinctive leaders in their fields.
- For this, Udacity has partnered with leading technology companies like Google, Nvidia, IBM, AT&T, and others.
- You can be sure to get access to the most up to date education in the upcoming technologies that are relevant to today’s tech industry.
- All classes are taught in a video format with quizzes and homework assignments.
- Most of its courses are offered for free. However, some content and all certifications like the Nanodegree cost you money.
- Courses are always made available, which means there is no waiting for the specific course you want to learn.
- Self-paced courses mean you can work through the courses as fast or as slow as you want.
- The catalog is deep but not broad. Also, the review system needs an overhaul.
- It is definitely the best educational website for learning technology-related online courses with certifications.
With millions of students from across the world, Alison is one of the world’s largest free learning platforms for education and skills training.
- Alison provides entry-level courses like Diploma certification.
- Their resources are designed for absolutely anyone looking for a new job, promotion, or business venture.
- You can choose from a variety of subjects and pick from hundreds of free courses that are available.
- All their courses are 100% free to pursue and complete. You can learn on your own schedule and at your own pace.
- Alison requires you to score a certain passing percentage in their assessments in order to become an Alison graduate.
- Once you have completed your course, you can download your learner record as proof of your achievement.
- The major drawback was the advertisements that pop during lectures. The platform can further be improved.
- Should you like something more official about your course completion, you can purchase your Certificate or Diploma for a small fee.
More MOOC Websites Offering Certifications
1. OpenLearn – This is the UK’s Open University website offering free online courses. It is probably the most comprehensive and practical website for working adults.
2. FutureLearn – It is again a part of the UK’s Open University. It has partnered with other leading universities and professional bodies to offer a choice of high-quality courses covering different specializations.
3. Open Culture – It is a free online course curator website that lists thousands of free courses in various fields from across the world. It is undoubtedly a helpful resource!
4. Skillshare – Skillshare describes itself as an online community for creators. Their courses typically specialize in the design, photography, business, technology, film, and writing.
5. Swayam – This is a joint initiative by Govt. of India, IISc, IITs, IIMs, and other premier institutions. The platform hosts some of the best online courses prepared by the best teachers and is available free of cost to any learner, anywhere!
Certifications Add Value!
Pursuing online courses show that you have the capacity and passion for learning new skills, which is a highly esteemed trait in every modern organization.
If you’re a recent grad with limited work experience, showcasing certificates might be a very appropriate thing to do.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are providing an opportunity to access world-class education to anyone with an internet connection, and you should grab it with both hands!
Which education site do you plan to use for pursuing courses online? Let us know in the comments below.