- By default, Windows comes with two music players, Groove Music and Windows Media Player.
- However, if you’re here, you’re likely looking for something better than those.
- We extensively tested several freely available music players on the Internet. MusicBee topped the list!
10 Best Free Music Players
How We Tested? We evaluated each free music player software for audio quality, functionality, performance and ease of use on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free music player applications for Windows to download.
You won’t find a more comprehensive free music player than MusicBee. It is the Swiss Army knife of music players designed to make your listening experience better.
- Supported Formats: MP3, AAC, M4A, WMA, WAV, FLAC, OGG, MIDI, ALAC, APE, Opus, MPC, TAK, MOD, UMX, XM and more.
- Comes packed with 10-band and 15-band Equalizer for maximum audio quality.
- Supports 5.1 surround sound. Supports WASAPI and ASIO for high-end audio cards.
- Listen to music without interruption with gapless playback. Advanced ReplayGain feature for automatic volume adjustment.
- Intelligent auto-tagging system can update songs with incomplete album information. Auto downloads missing album artwork, artist photos and song lyrics.
- The impressive AutoDJ feature can create perfect party playlist and turn your computer into a music jukebox.
- Change the look and feel of MusicBee by choosing various skins to your liking. Plug-ins/add-ons are available for more customization.
- Sync your music collection with other devices you use. Organize your favorite podcasts, audiobooks and radio stations.
- MusicBee can also convert audio files if your device does not support certain formats. Has a built-in CD Ripper.
- The interface may feel a bit overwhelming at first.
- It’s a bit buggy at times.
If the idea of a lightweight music player software with a simple interface, rich audio codec support, and a clean design sounds appealing to you, then Dopamine is what you need.
- Supported Formats: MP3, MP4, WMA, OGG, FLAC, M4A, AAC, WAV, APE, OPUS and more.
- Comes with a simple design, but a fairly rich functionality.
- Sleek and stylish user interface blends in nicely with Windows. Theme is customizable as per choice.
- Easily organizes your audio collection. Sorts automatically by artist, genre and album.
- Simple playback controls are well arranged and easy to understand.
- Comes packed with a powerful built-in equalizer. Has a nifty spectrum visualizer.
- The new Smart Playlist feature can create playlists based on the criteria you specify.
- You can use Dopamine to fetch lyrics from the Internet and display it while music plays.
- Multiple player modes. Automatic updates. Last.fm scrobbling.
- No advanced options for editing metadata.
- Needs to add more features.
AIMP is a powerful and popular music player for PC with equalizer. Its thoughtful design and carefully curated features earn it a respectable third place.
- Supported Formats: MP3, M4A, WAV, MIDI, CDA, AAC, AC3, APE, DTS, FLAC, WMA, MPC, WV, OGG, S3M, MTM, UMX, XM, WavPack, Speex, WebM and more.
- Among the best audio quality for Windows audio players. Has an impressive 18-band equalizer that comes with 22 presets by default.
- Its rich sound mixing options comes from an excellent Sound Engine which features numerous built-in sound effects like Reverb, Flanger, Enhancer and more.
- Has Volume Normalization, Replay Gain, Fade In/Fade Out, and Cross-mixing features. Supports DirectSound, ASIO and WASAPI audio interfaces.
- AIMP makes organizing your songs a breeze. It is easy to edit tags and create playlists.
- Smart Playlist option can create something to match your mood with lesser efforts.
- It allows you to listen to Internet radio stations and also captures radio streams in real-time. Has a built-in audio converter, audio grabber and sound recorder.
- The voice remover feature can help in making your own karaoke tracks.
- Features an alarm clock function that starts playing at a specific time. It can also shut down your PC at the end of a playlist.
- AIMP’s plugins include some real gems. Feel free to explore them.
- Needs time to adjust to the player settings.
Launched way back in 2002, it is one of the oldest surviving Windows music players that people still highly value. foobar2000 is an advanced audio player that is highly customizable, best suited for power users.
- Supported Formats: MP3, MPC, AAC, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, ALAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CD, Speex, Opus and more.
- Enhanced sound with a remarkable 18 band equalizer.
- Supports Gapless playback, ReplayGain, ASIO and WASAPI output.
- Advanced tagging tool makes light work of cleaning up a messy library. Has an extensive library management suite.
- Has a CD Ripper and a Quick Convert tool with various presets and options.
- foobar2000 has powerful theming support with a variety of skins available.
- Can erase duplicated tracks. Has customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Includes a DSP manager, supports Last.fm scrobbling and integration with Apple devices.
- It has over a hundred components/add-ons available to further expand the functionality of the application.
- Don’t let the simple interface of foobar2000 fool you, underneath is a powerful music player and manager that can be tweaked and tuned to suit your needs.
- Does need a fair amount of time to get it up and running.
- It isn’t easy to navigate if you are a beginner.
- Many of its plugins are outdated.
Many of you use Spotify streaming service on your smartphones. However, you might not know about the Spotify desktop application that can not only stream millions of songs but also, plays music saved on your hard drive.
- Browse and play hundreds of ready-made playlists in every genre and mood.
- You can organize your music in customizable playlists. Share them with friends.
- Spotify is the largest social network music service. You can browse through the music collections of friends, artists and celebrities.
- Import your Windows Media Player Library or your iTunes library with ease.
- You can view the lyrics of the song being played and follow the artist/band.
- Get access to some exclusive music and podcasts that are not available anywhere else.
- Gapless playback and Cross-fader options. Manage and sync music on your iPod, iPhone or Android.
- Supports third-party apps that can extend the functionality of Spotify.
- It is an excellent way to discover new music too.
- You’ll have to put up with ads in the free version.
- It is more focused on streaming music as compared to other music players.
- Not available in many countries.
6. iTunes – From the stables of Apple, iTunes is a high-quality audio and video player. It is also home to Apple Music, where you can listen to millions of songs. iTunes syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.
7. MediaMonkey – It is an excellent choice for serious music collectors who have thousands of songs on their hard drive. Has a smart auto-tagging system that updates tracks with missing metadata and intuitively organizes them.
8. XMPlay – Launched in the year 1998, XMPlay is a lightweight yet powerful audio player for Windows PC. It is known for its excellent sound quality and support for various audio codecs.
9. Winamp – You knew it was going to be part of this list. Despite being around for almost two decades now, this old horse is still in the race. Packed full of features, Winamp remains a people’s favorite.
10. Groove Music – Groove Music is the default music player app that comes pre-installed on all Windows 10 PCs. The app has a minimalist design and supports all the major audio formats.
Crank It Up
The best thing you can do when looking for a good music player is to try out a few and see which one you settle on.
Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below! And if you think we missed a great music app, please let us know!