- Is someone peeking at you secretly through your laptop’s webcam?
- Or logging all the keys you type, including your passwords?
- We put to the test several free spyware removal tools available on the Internet. Read on!
5 Best Free Spyware Removal Software Tools
Spyware is a malicious program that hides on your computer without your knowledge. It secretly steals your personal information like passwords, bank info, credit card details, web browsing history, and sends them over to hackers or cybercriminals.
How We Tested? On our test system running Windows 10, we tried the free spyware removal tools on the latest spyware strains and evaluated their effectiveness. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free Spyware removers list.
OS Compatibility – Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
Malwarebytes tends to find a lot more spyware hidden on the computer than the competition.
- It’s an extremely reliable application against spyware and adware that’s rated highly by independent testers.
- Uses signature-less and behavior-based detection technologies to catch the latest threats.
- Scans through the registry, files, folders, and running processes using advanced algorithms.
- It cleans up an infected machine better than similar programs.
- Can run alongside other antivirus applications.
- It doesn’t offer real-time protection in the free version.
- Manual updates. You can’t set up custom automatic scan schedules on this spyware remover program.
2. Bitdefender Antivirus Free
Bitdefender is already a household name among the user community. It is powerful protection packed into a lightweight solution.
- It has the most robust defense against all kinds of spyware.
- The real-time threat detection system takes instant action on detecting anything suspicious.
- Any file you download from the Internet is scanned immediately for stealthy spyware threats.
- It comes with on-demand & on-access scanning that runs in the background.
- It doesn’t need any configuration, which makes it ideal for less experienced users.
- The program has a slow initial scan and lacks advanced options.
- Getting it to work along with other antivirus applications is a problem.
SUPERAntiSpyware is a free anti-spyware program that offers to quickly remove common spyware variants.
- It provides quick, complete, and custom scanning of hard drives, removable drives, memory, registry, or individual folders.
- Quarantines potential threats and securely removes them, even the stubborn ones.
- Process Interrogation Technology detects hard-to-find threats usually missed by standard anti-spyware applications.
- It has a selection of repairs that can be run to undo the damage done by malware.
- It won’t conflict with your existing anti-virus software.
- There is no real-time threat blocking in the free version. You will have to manually run scans and definition updates.
- Scans can take some time. It missed detecting a few spyware samples in our testing.
4. Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus has a dedicated anti-malware engine that prevents infection in the first place and removes any existing spyware.
- Uses multilayer defense, behavioral analysis, and machine learning to thwart the latest threats.
- It offers real-time protection. Checks for spyware automatically, all the time.
- Eliminates deeply embedded and difficult-to-detect malware.
- Further includes a Wi-Fi inspector, a built-in firewall, a webcam privacy shield, and a cloud-based suspicious file scanner.
- Easy to use. Advanced users can fiddle with a lot of settings options.
- Some features are available only in the paid version.
- Tries to install unnecessary third-party applications, you can skip them during installation.
5. Adaware Antivirus Free
Although it’s not a particularly well-known program, Adaware Antivirus Free is a reliable option to help remove spyware.
- It provides real-time protection against spyware threats.
- It has different scan options. You can run a quick or full system scan on a schedule.
- Adaware has a clean, new design and isn’t hard to use.
- Updates definitions automatically throughout the day.
- Low false positives and needs lesser system resources.
- Installation of this spyware removal tool can take some time.
- Some security features are found only in the paid version. It bundles a toolbar you may not like.
Destroy That Spyware…
A dedicated spyware remover provides a convenient way of finding and removing hideous spyware from your system.
We recommend you run such a tool at least once every 3 months.
Important! A spyware remover doesn’t replace the necessity of having a full-time antivirus program with real-time protection.
Author: Nik is an author with over 14 years of expertise in software and tech. Holding an Engineering degree in Information Technology and a Master's degree in Data Science from Liverpool University, he is adept at dissecting and discussing the nuances of technology with clarity and precision. Disclaimer: The content on this website is originally created by human authors and is refined using AI tools solely to ensure grammar, flow and clarity.