- Is someone peeking at you secretly through your laptop’s webcam?
- Or logging all the keys you type, including your passwords?
- We put to test several free spyware and adware removal tools available on the Internet. Read on!
5 Best Free Spyware & Adware Removal Tools
Spyware is a malicious program that hides on your computer without your knowledge. It secretly steals your personal information like passwords, bank info, credit card details, web browsing history and sends them over to hackers or cybercriminals.
Adware is a malicious program that shows you unwanted ads. You might have an adware infection if your computer shows you random pop-ups, website links redirect to sites different from what you expected, new toolbars/extensions suddenly populate your browser or browser slows to a crawl.
How We Tested? On our test system running Windows 10, we tried the free spyware and adware removal tools on the latest strains of spyware/adware and evaluated their effectiveness. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free Spyware & Adware removers list.
Malwarebytes tends to find a lot more spyware and adware hidden on the computer than the competition.
- Extremely reliable application against spyware and adware. Is rated highly by independent testers.
- Uses signature-less and behavior-based detection technologies to catch the latest threats.
- Scans through registry, files, folders and running processes using advanced algorithms.
- Cleans up an infected machine better than similar programs.
- Can run alongside other antivirus applications.
- It doesn’t offer real-time protection in the free version.
- Manual updates. You can’t set up custom automatic scan schedules on this spyware remover program.
AdwCleaner sets itself apart from the rest by solely concentrating on removing the annoying adware.
- This free anti-adware application aggressively targets adware, potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), and browser toolbars/hijackers.
- Scans your computer in seconds. Cleans it in few minutes.
- Without a doubt, the best thing about the program is its interface and how easy it is to use.
- You can simply download this adware removal tool and run it. No installation needed.
- This tool is useful even if you already have Malwarebytes installed.
- It is very aggressive in terms of what it removes.
- Advanced users may want more control options.
SUPERAntiSpyware is a free anti-spyware program that offers to quickly remove common spyware variants.
- Quick, complete and custom scanning of hard drives, removable drives, memory, registry, or individual folders.
- Quarantines potential threats and securely removes them, even the stubborn ones.
- Process Interrogation Technology detects hard-to-find threats usually missed by standard anti-spyware applications.
- Has a selection of repairs that can be run to undo the damage done by malware.
- It won’t conflict with your existing anti-virus software.
- No real-time threat blocking in the free version.
- You will have to manually run scans and definition updates.
- Scans can take a long time to complete.
- It missed detecting some spyware samples in testing.
4. Avast Free Antivirus
Avast Free Antivirus has a dedicated anti-malware engine that prevents infection in the first place and removes any existing spyware.
- Uses multilayer defense, behavioral analysis, and machine learning to thwart the latest threats.
- Offers real-time protection. Checks for spyware automatically, all the time.
- Eliminates deeply embedded and difficult-to-detect malware.
- Further includes a Wi-Fi inspector, a built-in firewall, a webcam privacy shield, and a cloud-based suspicious file scanner.
- Easy to use. Advanced users can fiddle with a lot of settings options.
- Some features are available only in the paid version.
- Tries to install unnecessary third-party applications, you can skip them during installation.
5. Adaware Antivirus Free
Although it’s not a particularly well-known program, Adaware Antivirus Free is a reliable option to help remove spyware.
- Provides real-time protection against spyware threats.
- Has different scan options. You can run a quick or full system scan on a schedule.
- It has a clean, new design and isn’t hard to use.
- Updates definitions automatically throughout the day.
- Low false positives. Needs lesser system resources.
- Installation of this spyware removal tool can take some time.
- Certain security features found only in the paid version.
- Comes bundled with a toolbar you may not like.
Destroy That Spyware..
A dedicated spyware remover provides a convenient way of finding and removing hideous spyware from your system.
I recommend you run such a tool at least once every 3 months.
Important! A spyware remover doesn’t replace the necessity of having a full-time antivirus program with real-time protection.
Also See: Best Free Internet Security Suite For Windows PC