- Updating software applications is the definite way of protecting your PC from exploits, vulnerabilities and getting the latest features.
- A Software Updater scans your system for outdated software and installs the most recent updates with just a few clicks.
- We tested several free software updaters available on the Internet. Patch My PC and UCheck topped the list.
5 Best Free Software Updater Programs
We know, updating your PC software is a hassle, but it’s essential. Install one of these free software updaters to save yourself some time and ensure all your software applications get the latest updates.
How We Tested? We evaluated each free Software Updater for ease of use, functionality, and capability on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the best software update checker programs.
OS Compatibility – Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
1. Patch My PC
Patch My PC is a portable, lightweight utility that can automatically install updates for the majority of the software on your computer.
- It quickly scans your PC to identify available software updates.
- Outdated programs are shown in red. The programs that are up-to-date are shown in green. Not-installed programs are shown in black.
- There is no need to manually download updates. It automatically installs them for you with a click of a button.
- Patch My PC can find updates for 300+ commonly used software applications and supports bulk updates.
- You can set up a schedule to automatically download and install updates.
- The updater has several options you can customize as per needs.
- It allows you to easily uninstall multiple programs. Enable or disable startup programs.
- It needs to add more software to its programs database. The user interface looks old-fashioned and needs a makeover.
UCheck is a nifty free tool that will help you keep your Windows PC programs up-to-date.
- It comes with a clean and easy-to-use interface.
- A scan displays an overview of the outdated applications and pending updates.
- You can download and install the latest updates right within the updater.
- Ucheck features the much-needed bulk update option.
- It’s a portable tool. You can use it without installing it on the PC via a USB flash drive.
- Besides, it can help you uninstall applications you no longer require.
- During installation, it asks for a license key. Just click on ‘Next’ to use the free version.
- Certain features of this software are available for paid users only.
3. IObit Software Updater
It provides you with a fast, secure, and comfortable way to download the latest updates.
- Updates are available right inside the program.
- It supports both single and batch updates.
- Comes with an easy to navigate user interface.
- It can create a restore point automatically before updating the software.
- Without a doubt, it has nearly all the features you need in a good software updater program.
- You can only update two programs per day in the free version.
- No scheduling option. It supports a limited number of software updates at present.
4. Downloadcrew UpdateScanner
This software update scanner from the well-known downloads website Downloadcrew.com can check for updates to hundreds of applications.
- It comes with a vast software database.
- Automatically checks for new updates. A manual scan option is also available.
- It lists all the available updates in a convenient manner.
- It also shows you the latest and most popular software downloads from the Downloadcrew.com website.
- Furthermore, the updater does not bother you with beta and unreleased versions.
- You need a free Downloadcrew account to start using this software update checker.
- The interface is not user-friendly and is cluttered.
5. SUMo – Software Update Monitor
SUMo, or Software Update Monitor, is an old horse and comes packed with many features. It is best suited for experienced users.
- SUMo detects updates for a large number of software applications installed on your PC.
- It has an intuitive user interface.
- The Ignore list feature allows you to track only the software you want to update.
- SUMo distinguishes between the applications that need a minor and major update.
- It lets you choose the folders in which to look for software updates.
- The program itself updates often.
- The downside of SUMo is that it can’t get the updates within the program. You will have to double-click a program name to be directed to a download page.
- The installer may be bundled with unwanted software.
A Software Updater Is A Must Have!
Without a software updater, you’d have to either update a program by visiting the developer’s website or checking for updates within the applications.
With a good software updater, you can install updates for a lot of your programs at once with great ease, which is genuinely pleasant.