- Updating software applications is the definite way of protecting your PC from exploits, vulnerabilities and getting the latest features.
- A Software Updater scans your system for outdated software and installs the most recent updates with just a few clicks.
- We tested several free software updaters available on the Internet. Patch My PC and FileHippo App Manager topped the list.
5 Best Free Software Updaters
We know, updating your PC software is a hassle, but it’s essential. Install one of these free software updaters to save yourself some time and ensure all your software applications get latest updates.
How We Tested? We evaluated each free Software Updater for ease of use, functionality and capability on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the best software update checker list.
1. Patch My PC
Patch My PC is a portable, lightweight utility that can automatically install updates for the majority of the software in your computer.
- It’s an easy to use updater. You can see what’s outdated and what’s not.
- No need to manually download updates. It automatically installs them for you.
- Patch My PC can find updates for 300+ commonly used software applications and supports bulk updates.
- You can set up a schedule to automatically download and install updates.
- The updater has several options you can customize as per needs.
- Allows you to easily uninstall multiple programs. Enable or disable startup programs.
- Needs to add more software to its update database.
- The user interface looks old-fashioned and needs a makeover.
2. FileHippo App Manager
A nifty application from the popular downloads site FileHippo.com to keep your software up-to-date.
- Comes with a clean and easy-to-use interface.
- You can download and install the latest updates right within the updater.
- Scheduled scans allow you to check for updates at a set time period.
- Allows you to add custom folders to the scan settings.
- It’s a lightweight program. Uses less system resources.
- Supports multiple languages.
- Updates are limited to software available on FileHippo.com.
- Poor software detection at times. Needs more polishing.
It provides you with a fast, secure and comfortable way to download the latest updates.
- Updates can be found for most software as this updater relies on a database of over one million entries.
- Automatically performs a virus scan on all incoming software updates.
- Comes with an easy to navigate user interface.
- Supports batch downloads and installs.
- Ignore lists can be created to exclude the programs you don’t want to be included in the scans.
- There aren’t any scheduling options to check for outdated programs automatically.
- Didn’t find as many outdated programs as similar software updater tools.
SUMo is a powerful free software update monitor with lots of useful features. It is best suited for experienced users.
- SUMo detects updates for a large number of software applications installed on your PC.
- Intuitive user interface caters to all types of users.
- The Ignore list feature allows you to track only the software you want to update.
- It distinguishes between the applications that need a minor and major update.
- It lets you choose the folders in which to look for software updates.
- The program itself updates often.
- A huge downside of SUMo is that it doesn’t provide links to the download pages for updates.
- One must manually search for download links on the Internet.
- The installer may be bundled with unwanted software.
5. Kaspersky Software Updater
Is useful to keep your security-critical programs updated.
- The interface is minimal and easy to use.
- Has two scanning modes – Quick and Full.
- Downloads and automatically installs updates for popular software that might pose security risks if not updated.
- Lets you choose which updates to apply.
- Scanning tasks can be scheduled periodically.
- Update available for a minimal number of programs.
- Less customizable than other similar programs.
A Software Updater Is A Must Have!
Without a software updater, you’d have to either update a program by visiting the developer’s website or by checking for updates within your applications themselves.
With a good software updater, you can install updates for lots of your programs at once without ever leaving the program, which is genuinely nice.