- There’s something quite liberating and satisfying about running.
- No wonder the running-based games have become all the rage on smartphones today.
- Their quick gameplay, addictive nature, and simple controls make them an accessible genre that anyone can pick up and play.
Endless Fun on the Run: The Top Free Running Games for Your Phone in 2023
1. Subway Surfers | 2. Alto’s Adventure | 3. Temple Run 2 | 4. Fun Race 3D | 5. Angry Gran Run | 6. Crossy Road |
7. Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom | 8. Jetpack Joyride | 9. Into The Dead 2: Zombie Survival | 10. Sky Dancer Run | 11. Smash Hit | 12. Super Mario Run | 13. Minion Rush | 14. Run Race 3D | 15. Blades Of Brim | 16. Talking Tom Hero Dash | 17. PAC-MAN 256 – Endless Maze | 18. Bendy in Nightmare Run | 19. Vector | 20. Banana Kong | 21. Agent Dash | 22. Rayman Adventures | 23. Touchdown Hero | 24. Glitch Dash | 25. Jumanji: Epic Run
How We Tested? We ran all the popular running games (including endless/infinite runners) available for both Android and iOS on our test devices for their gameplay, graphics, engagement, simplicity, and fun factor. After a detailed trial and error process, we came up with these top running games for you to play.
1. Subway Surfers
- Subway Surfers is a fun endless runner game. It is one of the most downloaded games in the history of Android and iOS.
- You’ll dodge oncoming trains, collect coins, and use quick reflexes to stay a step ahead of the chasing police officer.
- The coins can be used to purchase improvements, upgrades, and unlock unique characters.
- Vibrant and colorful visuals make this simple runner a joy to play.
- The controls are intuitive, moving left and right with a simple swipe or jumping and rolling over obstacles by swiping up or down.
- The game is regularly updated and sits near the top of everyone’s list of favorite Android games.
2. Alto’s Adventure
- It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that this is probably one of the most beautiful games ever made for both Android and iOS.
- Embark on a snowboarding adventure across the beautiful alpine hills and woodlands as you dodge obstacles and catch the lamas that have escaped.
- While you’re at it, gather some gold coins and perform some cool tricks on the way down.
- Procedurally generated terrain based on real-world snowboarding means levels are constantly challenging without being overly difficult.
- Immersive music, minimalist yet stunning graphics, and wonderful aesthetics make Alto’s Adventure undefinably refreshing.
3. Temple Run 2
- No best running game list is complete without the amazing Temple Run franchise. It is the game that popularized the endless runner genre.
- Navigate perilous cliffs, zip lines, mines, and forests as you try to escape with the cursed idol.
- Collect chests, power-ups, coins, and gems that allow you to run faster and longer.
- Visually pleasing, this runner has a surprise waiting for you around every corner.
- It is regularly updated. Now each of the many characters you can choose from has their own special skills and abilities.
- It is still the heart-pounding game it has always been, frustrating at times, but one you can’t stop playing.
4. Fun Race 3D
- Fun Race 3D is a multiplayer free running game for both iOS and Android devices.
- It pits you against other players from all around the globe in a parkour race to the finish line.
- Each of the game’s unique stages is a gauntlet of traps and obstacles. You have to jump, slide, and swing past falling hammers, swinging pendulums, rotating arms, and twisting tubes.
- The rounds get more challenging as you progress, with more obstacles and hazards scattered around.
- You can design your own unique and adorable tiny runner by mixing and matching dozens of different color schemes, body types, and animations.
- Have you got the skills to outwit the rest and prove you’re the best?
5. Angry Gran Run – Running Game
- Angry Gran Run is hilarious and entertaining. It has been a top pick for fans of free running games.
- The Granny has been held captive in an asylum for a long time. Time has come for Granny to plot her escape and make a mad dash for freedom.
- The only way she can make it is with a little help from you and your quick-acting fingers.
- Guide her through the streets and many challenges. Run, slide, and jump perfectly to avoid obstacles. Bash up the punks and capture their coins.
- Use the coins to purchase different upgrades and exciting new characters to run with.
- The game is perfect for quick sessions while on the go. And please, don’t let them take her back to the asylum.
6. Crossy Road
- You have to try to guide an animal/character across a series of streets full of traffic and other dangers.
- The goal is to try to get as far as you can, avoiding cars, trucks, and trains that pass on the highways.
- Along the way, you can collect coins scattered throughout the land. These coins can be used to buy new characters.
- And don’t wait too long to make your moves, as a soaring eagle will capture your little animal and end the game.
- One of the strong points of Crossy Road is its minimalist and polygon-like graphics. It makes the gameplay very engaging.
7. Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom
- Sonic has always been an avid runner, so it’s a no-brainer that the blue hedgehog has his own running game.
- Run as far as you can, collecting gold rings, dodging obstacles, and attacking enemies. The objective is to get the highest possible score.
- Interestingly, you can even switch characters mid-race. All characters have special powers to discover and master, along with new gameplay controls.
- Sonic dash 2 showcases some great 3D visuals and aesthetics.
- You can take part in daily challenges and special events to earn more rewards.
- It’s a fast and fun game that you’ll find yourself coming back to again and again.
8. Jetpack Joyride
- Jetpack Joyride is a free infinite runner game for both Android and iOS to kill boredom.
- You will have to fly through a series of levels using different jetpacks, avoiding hitting objects while collecting coins.
- You can customize your look, get new jetpacks, equip with hi-tech gadgets, and much more.
- The audio matches the quick gameplay, and the challenges are extremely fun.
- The visual style of the game retains the retro charm that is beautiful to look at.
9. Into The Dead 2: Zombie Survival
- Into the Dead 2 cleverly mixes endless runner with the first-person-shooter action where you play as a survivor in the zombie apocalypse.
- Arm yourself with an arsenal of powerful weapons and do whatever it takes to survive. Shoot, maim, dodge, or mow down, but keep moving.
- There are tons of different weapons and improvements to unlock.
- The game has an extensive story mode with various events that branch off. So you can explore different stories set in the same post-apocalyptic world.
10. Sky Dancer Run – Running Game
- Running games have always been done on land, but this game lets you run through perilous platforms above the skies among the clouds.
- Travel to undiscovered planets with luxurious landscapes, performing spectacular Parkour style jumps and flips, moving from one platform to another.
- The experience might seem frightening and surreal at first, but soon you will find each free fall soothing and relaxing.
- As you play Sky Dancer Run, you’ll complete various challenges and earn rings. With these rings, you can unlock different characters and more.
- Unlike many other games from this genre, this game has a pretty high level of difficulty. This might make the game unusually addicting.
- Frankly, running has never been this exhilarating before!
11. Smash Hit
- Move as far as you can through a beautiful futuristic dimension, smashing obstacles and targets in your path.
- Your objective is to earn points by breaking every glass in sight using metal balls.
- Just touch the screen in the places where you want to throw the balls. You have a finite number of balls but amass more as you go.
- Ambient electronic music complements the game perfectly.
- The most fun part about Smash Hit is the realistic behavior of each element. When the glass shatters, it’s really a sight to see!
12. Super Mario Run
- An endless running game as fabulous as Super Mario Run deserves to find a place in this list.
- Time your taps to perfection and make Mario jump in style, pull off mid-air spins, and wall jumps to gather coins and reach the goal!
- You can play the entire game with just one thumb, making it incredibly easy to play almost anywhere.
- Relive the classic world where Mario will explore the vast, challenging maps and have a grand adventure.
- There are different game modes to enjoy, and the game requires an internet connection to play.
- However, to unlock all the modes and features, you will have to make in-app purchases.
13. Minion Rush
- It is a fun-packed endless running game starring the characters of the movie Despicable Me.
- The game’s objective is to get as far as possible, collecting bananas and evading obstacles on your way.
- With these bananas, you can buy different elements that will unlock new appearances for the minions.
- The gameplay has interesting twists on camera angles so that you are not always in an over-the-shoulder view.
- Apart from the standard game mode, Minion Rush also includes various bonus modes.
14. Run Race 3D
- Run Race 3D is a super entertaining multiplayer game where you can take part in fun online races against other users.
- The goal here is to reach the finish line first. And to do so, you must jump, climb ropes, slide, and turn.
- Visuals in Run Race 3D are simple, but it does include the essentials to keep you entertained for a good while.
- The tight and responsive controls will help you focus on the race.
- There are dozens of maps, and all require different sets of skills. You can customize your character’s skin, clothing, dance moves, and more.
15. Blades Of Brim
- Run, jump, and slash your way to protect the land of Brim against evil monsters.
- The game is developed by the same creators as Subway Surfers, and it’s obvious from the very first minute.
- You also get to run with pets in your adventures. The levels are well-designed, with plenty of variety, and the music is suitably stirring.
- You can discover and unlock over hundreds of legendary weapons and abilities. Also, upgrade and customize your character with a vast selection of armor and weapons.
- Thankfully, you don’t die after just one mistake, like with other endless runner games.
- Blades of Brim is a great title with great gameplay and exquisite, colorful 3D graphics.
16. Talking Tom Hero Dash – Run Game
- Talking Tom Hero Dash is an endless runner where you play the famous Tom, Angela, and friends.
- Aside from collecting coins and dodging obstacles, players also fight enemy raccoons by running into them and knocking them off the screen.
- Tom, Angela, and their cool friends all have amazing unique superpowers that you can use while running.
- Coins and rewards you get can unlock new suits and characters to increase the fun in every game.
- The controls in Talking Tom Hero Dash are usual for games like this.
- You can participate in special events that include limited-time missions with exclusive rewards.
17. PAC-MAN 256 – Endless Maze
- PAC-MAN 256 is the newest release of the most iconic video game ever.
- The game has a new look while still retaining the fundamental essence that made it a classic.
- You will have to guide Pac-Man across an endless maze, collecting dots and power-ups while avoiding enemy ghosts.
- The game ends if Pac-Man comes into contact with a ghost or falls behind and is consumed by a chasing glitch at the bottom of the maze.
18. Bendy in Nightmare Run
- This is undoubtedly one of the unique endless runners on the list. It’s got a retro flair to it and has a 1930’s animation style.
- Instead of watching the action from behind, you are right in front of Bendy to watch all of the terrors that creep upon him.
- Escape the chaos by running and scoping out special weapons to throw at your chasing enemy.
- As you beat levels, you can unlock loads of bonus content. You can get new skins for Bendy, as well as all kinds of new weapons.
- It is definitely worth trying out this free endless running game on both Android and iOS.
- Vector is the best parkour-inspired action game for both Android and iOS platforms.
- While being chased, you will have to run over a series of rooftops without slowing down or tripping into the abyss.
- You will be performing some cool parkour stunts all the while you are running.
- The gameplay is easy to learn but tough to master.
20. Banana Kong
- Banana Kong lets you play as Kong, a friendly gorilla who has to run nonstop to get as far as possible.
- An enormous avalanche of bananas is in pursuit and will pile on top of you if you’re not fast enough.
- To escape the avalanche, you may also ride the boar, fly with the toucan, and avoid the massive boulders, crocodiles, piranhas, and super hot lava.
- Along the way, you must collect as many bananas as possible, use power-ups to get ahead, take alternate routes, and find secrets.
- All of the levels and characters seem to have been hand-drawn, giving you the impression that you’re watching a great cartoon show.
21. Agent Dash
- You play as a secret agent that is given a mission, if you choose to accept it, to destroy as many villains and their bases as you can.
- Dash through gorgeous environments and use your secret agent skills to elude every villain and hazard that they can throw at you.
- You will have spy gadgets to help you on your way, and you can even call back-up to support you.
- One difference from the regular endless runner games is that in Agent Dash, you can actually reach the end of each level.
- So, you can unlock new levels and access new routes, which helps give you the feeling that you’re progressing, and makes the game more fun.
22. Rayman Adventures
- The enchanted forest is in trouble, as the Ancient Eggs, responsible for sustaining the Sacred Tree, were stolen and scattered across the world.
- You’ll have to help Rayman as he goes on a quest to find the stolen eggs.
- The game will take you across legendary settings, such as medieval castles and the lands of Olympus, as Rayman explores new worlds and fights mythical creatures.
- The Rayman series has always been critically acclaimed for their very tight platforming gameplay and great visuals. You will love this game.
23. Touchdown Hero
- Touchdown Hero is a fun top-down infinite runner game. Just choose the right scheme and swiftly rush down the field.
- Use fakes, pushes, and spins to avoid being tackled by aggressive defenders.
- The unique slow-motion feature will allow you to spot the gaps and reach the end zone.
- There are loads of teams and characters to unlock. Also, you have different types of opponents, fields, and weather conditions.
- The original old school graphics are enticing. It has great retro-style music and sound effects. Go for it.
24. Glitch Dash
- Glitch Dash takes a futuristic spin on the endless runner category.
- But, Glitch Dash is hard, really hard.
- Your reflexes need to be on edge to get through the intense mazes. It isn’t aimed at casual players.
- Your main goal is to make it through each stage. Besides, you can collect all diamonds scattered throughout the game.
- The funky techno beats backing the gameplay are very fitting.
- It’s undoubtedly infuriating but is addictive. Make a perfect run for the ultimate bragging rights!
25. Jumanji: Epic Run
- It is an action-packed endless runner where you play protagonists from the new Jumanji movies.
- Run from howling hyenas, climb mountains, avoid avalanches, jump and free-fall from deadly waterfalls, and defeat anyone in your way.
- You unlock new characters as you level up. You can choose from Dr. Smolder Bravestone, Franklin “Mouse” Finbar, Ruby Roundhouse, or Professor Shelly Oberon.
- Take advantage of each character’s special skills to make your way around, such as riding wild animals, throwing boomerangs, or doing nunchucks dances.
- Overall, it is a fantastic endless runner that offers an excellent range of settings, enemies, and situations.
Run Run Run
There’s something very satisfying about playing these games for either a minute or two or spend hours and hours trying to get that high score.
Indeed, it’s well worth including at least one of the above free runner games on your phone/tablet.
So there you have it. What’s your favorite?