- The Windows Registry is a database that stores crucial settings and options of the Windows OS.
- Hence, it’s extremely important to keep the registry in top form by cleaning all the junk and fixing errors that accumulate over time.
- We tested several free registry cleaners available on the Internet. CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare Free emerged as the top performers.
5 Best Free Registry Cleaner Software For Windows
How We Tested? We evaluated each free registry cleaner software for ease of use, performance and reliability on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top registry cleaner programs list.
Note: The Windows Registry is one of the most sensitive areas in the Windows OS. Therefore, it’s important to remember to back up the registry prior to letting a registry cleaner remove or fix entries. Most registry cleaners do this automatically for you, so make sure that’s the case.
CCleaner is probably the best registry cleaner that I’ve used in years. It has earned its position at the top by offering features that even premium programs don’t.
- The built-in Registry Cleaner scans the registry for more than a dozen types of errors and fixes them.
- It removes unused registry entries, file extensions, shared DLLs, application paths and invalid shortcuts.
- CCleaner prompts you to backup the registry before carrying out any repair.
- It’s neat and clean interface makes it one of the easiest programs to use.
- 1- click cleaning option for beginners to optimize their computers without any fuss.
- Can deliver a noticeable boost in performance.
- CCleaner installer can be bundled with Google Chrome browser. However, you can skip it during installation.
2. Advanced SystemCare Free
A comprehensive suite of tools to keep your computer clean, fast and secure. Advanced SystemCare Free is a Swiss Army Knife for PC optimization.
- Its powerful Registry Clean and Repair technology guarantees stable registry performance.
- Tunes up Windows configurations by eliminating system bottlenecks.
- The Turbo Boost feature disables unnecessary apps/processes running in the background.
- It helps boost Windows startup speed and optimize network and browser configuration.
- The new FaceID feature immediately captures the image of the intruder who breaks into your computer.
- You will definitely find something useful for your machine in its massive library of tools, tweakers, and cleaners.
- Many tools listed are shortcuts to separate applications and are not built-in.
- Tries to install unwanted programs. You can decline them during installation.
3. Wise Registry Cleaner
Wise Registry Cleaner comes in very close to the top rated CCleaner. It is a fantastic free registry cleaner program.
- One of the safest registry cleaning tools with various scan modes.
- Categorically displays detected errors after analysis.
- The registry is automatically backed up before any cleaning is performed.
- You can schedule automatic registry cleaning on a daily, weekly, or monthly time frame.
- System Tuneup optimizes system settings for better performance.
- It also features a registry defrag option.
- Tries to install other programs during installation.
4. Auslogics Registry Cleaner
Another good registry cleaner program for Windows PC. This nifty utility is known for its ability to resolve system stability issues.
- Quickly scans the registry keys and repairs them without a hitch.
- You can review the registry entries the program finds to be corrupt and exclude any that you may want to keep.
- A restore point is created by default making it easy to roll back the changes later.
- The program is easy to use, has very little settings.
- A notable feature is that it also displays the colored severity rating of the registry errors encountered.
- Uses low-to-moderate system resources.
- Auslogics Registry Cleaner tries to get you to install other unwanted programs during installation. You can simply uncheck those options to stop it from installing.
5. Registry Repair
A fast, simple and lightweight registry repair tool to fix errors and improve the PC performance.
- Uses intelligent algorithms to find and fix invalid registry entries.
- Faster scanning speed with well analyzed results.
- It creates a backup copy every time you repair the registry.
- Minimalistic and user-friendly interface.
- Doesn’t bundle third-party programs, nor make changes to your web browser.
- No extensive configuration options.
Are Registry Cleaners Safe To Use?
Most of the time, yes, letting a registry cleaner remove the registry keys it finds as problematic or useless is perfectly safe.
Back in the years, poorly developed registry cleaners caused problems with computers. Fortunately, the quality of registry and system cleaners are significantly higher today. Most of these tools have built-in ways to reverse changes when things don’t go as expected.
How often should you run a Registry Cleaner? Running it once a month should be more than enough.