- When it comes to essential Windows applications, one can’t deny the importance of a good download manager.
- A download manager uses intelligent dynamic file segmentation technology to instantly push your existing download speed to its maximum limits. It completely manages the download process for you.
- After a thorough analysis of all the free download managers available on the Internet, Xtreme Download Manager is precisely our pick for the best free download manager.
5 Best Free Download Managers For Windows
How We Tested? We carefully evaluated each of the free download managers for speed, functionality, ease of use and performance on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top download managers list.
1. Xtreme Download Manager
Is a feature-packed download manager that should meet most of your download needs. It exponentially increases your download speeds by 5-6 times.
- Works with all modern browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Vivaldi and others.
- Can download streaming audio and video from all popular sites. Lets you preview the media while downloading.
- Does keep tabs on the clipboard to automatically detect and download files.
- Can resume broken downloads. The refresh link function can auto update the expired URLs.
- Automatically classifies downloads according to its content type.
- Has built-in video converter which lets you to convert downloaded video to MP3 and MP4 formats.
- Supports authentication, proxy servers, cookies and redirection.
- Can shut down, hibernate or sleep computer after completing all downloads.
- Network optimization feature amicably adjusts the download speeds according to the type of your Internet connection.
- Has extensive configuration options.
- Doesn’t support torrents yet.
- The UI needs refinement.
2. Free Download Manager
With millions of users worldwide, Free Download Manager is an award-winning program. It is best suited for frequent downloaders.
- Compatible with all popular browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Safari.
- Has a clean and modern interface with optimal features. Easily usable by both beginners and experts.
- It lets you download online videos from popular sites.
- Allows previewing audio and video files before downloads complete.
- Can resume broken download from where it was interrupted.
- You can schedule and organize downloads.
- Supports plugins for extra features like downloading files using BitTorrent protocol.
- Some excellent features like remote control, HTML spider, site explorer and others have been removed in the latest version.
JDownloader is a well-built open source tool that lets you rapidly download files from various websites on the Internet.
- Can download several files simultaneously using multiple direct connections.
- Integrates well with all popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox and more.
- Download streaming videos in 4K, HD or any video quality of choice.
- Can automatically solve CAPTCHAs. Has about 300 decrypt plugins for many services.
- LinkGrabber feature monitors the clipboard to instantly detect and download files.
- Has the ability to resume broken downloads.
- Add-ons further expand the operational capabilities of JDownloader.
- Features a remote access option that monitors large downloads while away from your computer.
- JDownloader frequently updates itself in the background.
- It is an essential prerequisite to have Java installed on your computer.
- The installer has adware bundled with it. Choose “Custom” during installation and skip the adware.
EagleGet is undoubtedly a powerful download manager that enables swift downloads on your Windows PC. It is widely considered as the best alternative to Internet Download Manager (IDM).
- Supports all popular browsers including Chrome, Firefox, Opera and IE.
- Comes with an integrated Video Sniffer that can download online videos.
- Resume broken downloads. It automatically updates expired URLs.
- You can create multiple queues for organized and scheduled downloads.
- Shut down, hibernate or sleep computer after completing all downloads.
- Can even download torrents.
- Plenty of customization options are present.
- Typically, it tries to install the iNewTab browser extension. Make sure you deselect it if you don’t require it.
- The user interface can get better.
5. Internet Download Accelerator
Using this simple and intuitive piece of software, you can accelerate and manage all of your downloads.
- Integrates well with popular browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Yandex and more.
- Can download streaming video and audio from popular video sites.
- Monitors clipboard and instantly detects downloadable links.
- Can resume broken downloads.
- It can automatically categorize your downloads.
- Comes with an advanced download scheduler. You can shut down, sleep or stand-by the PC after the downloads complete.
- Features a floating window which typically indicates download speed, active downloads and more.
- Provides support for additional plug-ins.
- Displays advertisements.
- Regular requests to upgrade to the pro version.
You Need One..
Even if you only download files occasionally, it’s worth having a Download Manager on your modern PC.
NOTE: Using third-party apps to download certain files may be against the terms of service of some hosting websites. It might be a potential copyright infringement. Only download files if you own it, have permission from the copyright holder, or it’s in the public domain.