- Over 2 million computers across 150 countries – roughly 75% of all states in the world were affected by ransomware.
- Even though there are a lot of good free antivirus programs around, not all offer dedicated protection against ransomware.
- We tested several free anti-ransomware applications available in the market to come up with the best ones. Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business topped the list.
5 Best Free Anti-Ransomware Software
Reveton, ExPetr, CryptoLocker, Bitman, Onion, Shade, Mor, Locky, CryptoWall, Fusob, Zerber, Crysis, Cryrar, Snocry, Cryptodef, Spora, CTB-Locker, TeslaCrypt, Cerber, WannaCry, Petya, Bad Rabbit, Jigsaw and the list goes on.
All throughout the year, ransomware that locked down the PCs of everyday users made headlines.
What is a Ransomware? Ransomware is a particularly vicious type of malware. Once it lands on a computer, it begins to encrypt files on the hard drive. After it has encrypted files, the program demands money from the victim, usually in the form of Bitcoin. Victims have to pay the malware authors hefty amounts of money in order to get their files decrypted.
Fortunately, many of the big names in cyber-security provide tools that help protect your PC from ransomware.
Anti-Ransomware are tools designed to help you increase the security level of your system by detecting potential threats that usually go undetected by antivirus solutions.
How We Tested? We evaluated each free anti ransomware software for ease of use, performance and reliability on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free anti-ransomware list.
1. Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware For Business
It’s a professional ransomware blocker from the top-rated Kaspersky Labs. It’s a preventative tool designed to avert infection in the first place rather than decrypt files or unlock your computer.
- Free for everyone and not just businesses.
- It’s built on the world’s most tested and awarded security technologies.
- Dedicated anti-ransomware protection to detect threats in real-time based on the Kaspersky Security Network.
- Powerful System Watcher module to block suspicious activities and roll back malicious actions.
- Works alongside other security software as a secondary line of defense.
- Comes built-in with anti-crypto malware functionality.
- Doesn’t raise many false alarms.
- Cannot be installed on a computer that already has other Kaspersky applications running.
2. Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware
Malwarebytes is a reputed name in the world of cybersecurity. It uses cutting-edge technology to monitor ransomware and proactively block it.
- Highly reliable application against ransomware.
- Provides real-time ransomware protection.
- Simple user interface with straightforward functions.
- A light-weight tool, doesn’t affect your system performance.
- Can run alongside other antivirus tools.
- Still in beta, so expect a few issues running it.
3. CyberSight RansomStopper
CyberSight RansomStopper tries to provide protection against 99% of ransomware strains. Has the ability to detect and stop even the never-before-seen ransomware types.
- Uses multilayer defense, behavioral analysis, and machine learning
- Makes use of ‘bait files’ to block and disable ransomware.
- Tricks ransomware into revealing itself and freezes it immediately.
- Easy to use with absolutely nothing to configure.
- Smaller footprint on system resources.
- You can use it along with other security applications.
- Advanced users may want more configuration options.
4. Trend Micro RansomBuster
It protects against all forms of ransomware and adds an additional layer of protection to your computer. It can detect even a faint possibility of ransomware activity and make a secure backup of the affected files.
- Provides real-time protection against ransomware threats.
- Folder Shield protects documents in folders by blocking unauthorized access.
- Recovers any files that were encrypted before detection.
- Lesser false alarms.
- Is compatible with your current security software.
- Will not slow down your PC.
- Occasional ad pop-ups promoting other Trend Micro products.
- Folder Shield limited to just two folders.
- Behavior-based detection system needs improvement as some ransomware gave this application a slip in our tests.
5. Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware Tool
It is a ransomware vaccination from the highly-ranked Bitdefender stables. It uses specific techniques to convince ransomware that your computer is already infected, thereby preventing the attacks.
- Real-time anti-ransomware protection from known ransomware.
- Limits unknown applications launching from unusual locations on your system’s hard drive.
- No complicated configuration required.
- Is very light, non-intrusive and easy to use.
- Can run alongside your existing antivirus.
- In tests, it performed poorly against recent ransomware releases.
- Chances of a smart malware eluding this application are high.
How To Prevent Ransomware Attacks?
Getting your files back after an attack is good, but completely preventing that attack is even better.
- Make regular backups of your most important data, either on an external hard drive or by using an external cloud service.
- Never open email attachments or links from unknown sources.
- Keep your OS and software updated.
- Install and run a powerful antivirus software that includes browser and email protections, and make sure it is always updated.
- A dedicated anti-ransomware as a second layer of defense is a great idea.
Well, let us know which according to you is the best ransomware protection software?
Also Read: 9 Proven Tips To Protect Your Computer Against Ransomware Attacks