- Over 2 million computers across 150 countries were affected by ransomware.
- Even though there are a lot of good free antivirus programs around, not all offer dedicated protection against ransomware.
- We tested several free anti-ransomware applications available in the market to come up with the best ones. Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool topped the list.
5 Best Free Anti-Ransomware Software Tools
What is Ransomware? Ransomware is a particularly vicious type of malware. Once it lands on a computer, it begins to encrypt files on the hard drive. After it has encrypted files, the program demands money from the victim, usually in the form of Bitcoin. Victims have to pay the malware authors hefty amounts of money in order to get their files decrypted.
Reveton, ExPetr, CryptoLocker, Bitman, Onion, Shade, Mor, Locky, CryptoWall, Fusob, Zerber, Crysis, Cryrar, Snocry, Cryptodef, Spora, CTB-Locker, TeslaCrypt, Cerber, WannaCry, Petya, Bad Rabbit, and Jigsaw are some of the widespread ransomware on the Internet today.
Anti-Ransomware is a program designed to help you increase the security level of your system by detecting and preventing potential ransomware threats that usually go undetected by antivirus solutions.
How We Tested? We evaluated each free anti ransomware software for ease of use, performance, and reliability on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free anti-ransomware list.
OS Compatibility – Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
1. Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool
It’s a professional ransomware blocker from the top-rated Kaspersky Labs. It’s a preventative tool designed to avert infection in the first place rather than decrypt files or unlock your computer.
- It’s built on the world’s most tested and awarded security technologies.
- You get dedicated anti-ransomware protection that detects threats in real-time based on the Kaspersky Security Network.
- The Powerful System Watcher module blocks suspicious activities and rolls back malicious actions.
- Works alongside other security software as a secondary line of defense.
- This anti-ransomware tool comes with built-in anti-crypto malware functionality.
- It doesn’t raise many false alarms.
- It cannot be installed on a computer that already has other Kaspersky applications running.
2. Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware
Malwarebytes is a reputed name in the world of cybersecurity. It uses cutting-edge technology to monitor ransomware and proactively block it.
- Highly reliable application against ransomware.
- It provides real-time ransomware protection.
- Immediately terminates a process that tries to encrypt any data.
- Simple user interface with straightforward functions.
- It is a light-weight tool that doesn’t affect your system performance.
- Can run alongside other antivirus tools.
- Still in beta, so expect a few issues running this anti-ransomware software.
3. Acronis Ransomware Protection
Acronis Ransomware Protection software tries to provide protection against 99% of ransomware strains. Has the ability to detect and stop even the never-before-seen ransomware types.
- Monitors active processes on your computer and identifies suspicious ones.
- Helps create white and blacklists of applications and then track their activity.
- Can recover infected files from your local cache or temporary files.
- Smaller footprint on system resources.
- It gives you free 5GB Acronis Cloud storage to backup your most important files.
- Allows you to use it along with other security applications.
- You will have to create an Acronis account to start using the program.
4. Trend Micro RansomBuster
It protects against all forms of ransomware and adds an additional layer of protection to your computer. It can detect even a faint possibility of ransomware activity and make a secure backup of the affected files.
- RansomBuster provides real-time protection against ransomware threats.
- Folder Shield feature protects documents in folders by blocking unauthorized access.
- It recovers any files that were encrypted before detection.
- The anti-ransomware tool has lesser false alarms.
- Fully compatible with your current security software.
- Will not slow down your PC.
- It has occasional ad pop-ups promoting other Trend Micro products.
- The Behavior-based detection system needs improvement as some ransomware gave this application the slip in our tests.
5. NeuShield Data Sentinel
NeuShield Data Sentinel does more than just detecting and blocking ransomware attacks. It promises to recover your damaged file without a backup!
- It protects data against ransomware, zero-day, and unknown threats.
- The patented Mirror Shielding technology adds a barrier to protected files and prevents them from being modified.
- It prevents ransomware from making your system unable to boot.
- It blocks wipers from removing or destroying all data on your hard drive.
- By default, it protects files in the My Documents and Desktop folders.
- Easy to use interface even for beginners.
- Sadly, most of its best features come in the paid version.
NOTE: If your computer is already infected by ransomware, here are 200+ Ransomware Decryption Tools To Download.
How To Prevent Ransomware Attacks?
Getting your files back after an attack is good, but completely preventing that attack is even better.
- Make regular backups of your most important data, either on an external hard drive or by using an external cloud service.
- Never open email attachments or links from unknown sources.
- Keep your OS and software updated.
- Install and run a powerful antivirus software that includes browser and email protections, and make sure it is always updated.
- A dedicated anti-ransomware as a second layer of defense is a great idea.
Well, let us know, which according to you, is the best ransomware protection software?