- A driver is a critical software component that allows a device to communicate with the operating system.
- Manufacturers periodically release updated driver files that fix known bugs or improve on a component’s overall performance.
- Keeping track of these updates and ensuring that you have the latest drivers for each component can be tedious and time-consuming. This is why you need a dedicated driver updater software!
5 Best Free Driver Update Software To Quickly Update PC Drivers
How We Tested? We evaluated each free driver updater software for its driver database, ease of use, features, and functionality on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the top free driver updater software for PC to download.
OS Compatibility – Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7.
Important! Create a System Restore point before you start using any of the following programs so that you can easily undo any fixes, if necessary.
1. Driver Booster
IObit Driver Booster at the top of the chart is the best free driver updater software for Windows. It keeps your PC drivers up-to-date and enhances the overall system performance.
- A one-click scan quickly identifies outdated drivers. Every driver package is downloaded directly through the program.
- The updater can manage thousands of device drivers, including HP, Dell, Intel, Radeon, Samsung, and more.
- It sources all the drivers from the official manufacturers’ websites, and they must have passed the Microsoft WHQL test.
- Before installing a driver, you can see how the new driver version compares with the currently installed driver, which is helpful.
- It automatically creates a restore point before updating any driver, so in case anything goes wrong, you can easily rollback.
- Includes a silent mode feature where the program won’t interrupt you when applications are in fullscreen mode. It can boost game performance by stopping unnecessary processes.
- You can set the computer to automatically restart or shut down when the driver updates complete.
- Driver Booster found more outdated drivers than any other free driver updater software we tested.
- The free version has a few limitations. More driver updates are found in the paid version of the program.
- Tries to install other programs during setup. You can choose the ‘Custom’ installation option and skip them.
2. Driver Easy Free
Driver Easy is a precise and effective driver updater, which analyzes outdated drivers automatically, and helps you install the right updates.
- It detects missing, outdated, and mismatched drivers and downloads them within the program.
- Driver Easy has millions of drivers in its database, which means it’s going to catch and update every possible driver on your PC.
- Can download and update drivers one at a time in the free version. All drivers are certified and are directly from the manufacturer.
- It shows a comparison between the currently installed driver and its new update.
- The scheduling feature can check for driver updates automatically.
- You can view detailed hardware information of your PC with the help of in-built CPU-Z.
- Drivers download slowly. It requires the user to install drivers manually. Also, no auto system backup and restore point.
- Driver Easy supports pretty much every Windows version ever, including Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
3. DriverPack Solution
DriverPack Solution is undoubtedly a great tool to use when it comes to updating your system drivers for better hardware compatibility and optimized performance.
- Automatically finds required drivers in your system and installs them in one-click.
- It creates a system restore point before each driver update.
- DriverPack Solution has a user interface that’s easier to use than most others on this list.
- It has both online and offline versions. Use an offline version to update drivers on PCs without Internet access.
- The program can help you remove suspicious or unwanted software components. It has an expert mode for advanced users.
- It is fully portable and can be launched from a USB flash drive.
- It doesn’t support scheduled scans. At time shows annoying third-party software offers and ads.
- DriverPack Solution is entirely free, with absolutely no hidden costs whatsoever. Overall a highly capable tool for maintaining your drivers up to date.
4. Driver Talent
This Windows drivers download software can instantly and accurately find the most suitable drivers to match your Windows OS and hardware.
- Intelligently finds the most-matched drivers for the PC and quickly downloads them within the program.
- It detects all peripheral devices like mouse, keyboard, printer, scanner, and more to help search the drivers for them.
- Displays the driver size, release date, and version number to ensure you download the correct drivers.
- Automatically backs up all the drivers before updates and uninstallations. You can restore drivers from backup.
- Driver Talent can effectively uninstall unwanted drivers and completely remove any residual files.
- Also, it has an alternative offline version for computers with no Internet.
- Bulk driver downloading is not supported. It has Limited features in the free version.
- Besides, there are several plugs to upgrade to the paid version.
5. WinZip Driver Updater
We all know WinZip, the famous file archiver freeware. It has now made a decent driver updater software to keep track of your device drivers and update/repair them as needed.
- WinZip Driver Updater will scan, identify, and recommend necessary driver updates for your PC.
- Before performing any updates, you can take a look at the summary of proposed driver updates and then safely update them.
- The program brings you only genuine driver updates from trustworthy manufacturers.
- It lets you backup and restore device drivers. This is handy if you are worried about a faulty driver update.
- Lets you schedule periodic system scans, so you don’t have to remember to do so manually.
- Its exclusion feature lets you choose which drivers to update and which to leave for a future update.
- WinZip Driver Updater is one of the most comfortable and intuitive driver update programs, ideal for novices.
- Requires you to update one driver at a time in the free version. The program needs to add more drivers to its database.
Intel Driver & Support Assistant is a browser-based driver update tool explicitly developed for Intel-based computers. If you have a computer that is based on an Intel chip, I would recommend this driver update utility as you will get only genuine updates without any risk of false positives.
AMD Driver Auto-Detect tool is only for use with computers running AMD processors or AMD Radeon graphics. It scans your PC for available updates from AMD and lets you download and install them in just a click.
Adds To Convenience…
Although Microsoft Updates should provide critical updates regularly, there can be many device drivers left out. So, it’s recommended you get a good driver updater software installed on your PC.
These programs will check your computer for potential driver problems, give you a report on outdated or missing drivers it detects, and let you quickly update them to the latest manufacturer-recommended versions.
A surprising number of system issues can be fixed by simply getting the newest drivers for your devices, including gaming lags.
Well, what are your thoughts about driver updater tools? Do let us know.