- Astrology is a unique and ancient approach to understanding the self.
- Dating back to the very origins of human beings, this celestial art has been used as a guide for man’s earthly affairs for centuries.
- And not much has changed over time as we still turn to astrology to catch a glimpse of the future and get answers to a lot of our life questions.
7 Best Free Astrology & Horoscope Software For Accurate Castings
How We Tested? We evaluated each free astrology software for its accuracy, reliability, functionality and ease of use on our test system running Windows 10. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with these free full version astrology software for Windows to download.
It is expected that one should have basic knowledge of astrology to efficiently use these computer astrology software.
You will need to enter details like name, date and time of birth, gender, location and some more such information for the software to compute and present results. The results are usually given in the form of charts and tables.
Although some of the below-listed software has an inbuilt interpreter to give you predictions, it is recommended to use your knowledge to interpret the illustrations.
1. Jagannatha Hora – Vedic Astrology & Horoscope Software
Jagannath Hora or JHora is a comprehensive Vedic/Indian astrology software to easily make astrological computations. It is extremely popular among astrologers around the world.
- It is matchless in terms of its range of calculations offered, technical depth, level of customization, and ease of use.
- It is designed by the world-famous astrologer P.V.R. Narasimha Rao who has an engineering degree from IIT and a master’s from Rice University, USA. He is also a Sanskrit scholar and has authored various books and research articles.
- Jagannatha Hora uses the popular ‘Swiss Ephemeris’ as the planetary calculation engine.
- Swiss Ephemeris is the data of the latest positions of all planetary objects given directly by NASA. It ensures optimum accuracy in the charts made by this software.
- Its built-in atlas contains longitudes and latitudes of hundreds of thousands of places across the world. The dates from 5400 BC to 5400 AD can be used to create charts.
- Provides various information like dashas, transits, chakras, tithis, mundane and more. It has different panchangams and can provide auspicious dates for various rituals and works.
- Ability to choose the calendar and Ayanamsa of choice. Has a fascinating feature to directly match two people to check their compatibility.
- There are lots of customizable options and user preferences in the software, but all of them come with the recommended default values. Beginners need not bother about them, but advanced users can experiment.
- Doesn’t give predictions. Requires basic astrological knowledge to read charts.
- It’s completely Vedic oriented, and you cannot obtain a western-style chart here.
2. PlanetDance – Western Astrology Software
Planetdance is a light-weight yet surprisingly powerful free astrology program for Windows PC. It comes inbuilt with all the essential features for you to quickly perform astrological calculations.
- Planetdance is developed by Jean Cremers, who has been a computer programmer for three decades now. He has a vast knowledge of western astrology.
- It calculates planets, radix, transit, various progression types, returns, composites, harmonics, heliocentric, dwad, etc.
- Charts are displayed using a choice of eleven house systems, and all the planets are shown clearly.
- The latest version has an automatic timezone atlas for the entire world and uses the Swiss Ephemeris for making accurate charts.
- Further, Planetdance features fixed stars, rulers and dispositors, midpoint tree, parallax, dignities, aspect patterns, Arabics, etc.
- If you do not have much understanding in reading charts, you can quickly read out interpretations given by the software.
- Allows you to check compatibility between two persons. Planetdance is available in multiple languages like English, Dutch, French, German, Polish, etc.
- It is immensely customizable. You can use the settings to change pretty much everything.
- Interestingly, Planetdance also has lots of functions for classic, medieval, and Vedic astrology.
- Nothing much to complain about.
3. What Watch – Western Astrology Software
What Watch is a powerful freeware tool that covers many areas and techniques of astrology. Of late, many astrology enthusiasts across the globe have been using it.
- What Watch performs all its calculations using the Swiss Ephemeris engine. So the chart accuracy is guaranteed.
- It sports a clean and intuitive graphical user interface, providing quick access to the relevant information.
- It draws and prints chart wheels, including synastry and composite, draws tables of essential dignities, calculates element and quality balances.
- What Watch allows analyzing birth aspects using a ‘harmonic aspectarian’, which is a unique blend of approaches to get a comprehensive view.
- Midpoints are an integral part of What Watch. The features for timing of transits, progressions and solar arcs allow a very detailed analysis of what’s going on in life.
- The program creates ephemeris lists for any given combination of planets providing dates of the transit itself, of stations and of sign changes.
- What Watch has a built-in atlas and time zone conversion. It considers and computes even for the minor planets and dwarf stars.
- One can make use of the hotkeys defined for various functions. It also has tutorials, in case you are not able to figure out how to use it.
- You can save a natal chart with complete information entered or even take a printout.
- Some features are missing in comparison with other professional astrology software.
4. Astrolog – Western Astrology Software
Astrolog is an open-source astrology and horoscope software program that has been freely available online for the past few decades. It was created by Walter Pullen and is considered to rival commercial programs in terms of quality.
- It can create horoscopes, natal charts, and calculate current planetary positions in sidereal, traditional, and heliocentric formats.
- It can be used to relate the astrological house and sign dispositors and other nonstandard systems.
- Astrolog uses 22 different house systems, can calculate 18 different aspects such as trines, squares, semisquares, and rarer ones such as biquintiles, quatronoviles, and sesquiquadrates.
- It computes the traditional planets, along with minor planetary objects. Can show nearly 50 fixed stars and animate the chart in real-time.
- Contains an atlas with thousands of places to provide coordinates, time zone, and daylight saving time detection.
- It also allows you to draw freely across the interface to make things more understandable.
- The software is updated regularly and any bugs that would occur are fixed at the earliest.
- Honestly, the software is a bit complex for a layman.
- The user interface needs a modern overhaul.
5. KPStarOne – KP System Astrology & Horoscope Software
KPStarOne is an advanced astrology software that follows the Krishnamurti Paddhati system. While it’s very similar to the Vedic astrology, it also borrows some Western astrology techniques.
- It uses Swiss Ephemeris for precision calculation of planetary and cuspal elements.
- It is probably the only astrology program based on WYSIWYG technology. That is, What You See Is What You Get on the printer.
- It offers highly accurate comprehensive KP Ephemeris with sub-level changes in time, Panchang components, and chart for the moment.
- Users get a choice of various Ayanamsa, including the very popular KPNA.
- It comes loaded with a database of latitude, longitude, altitude and time zone of thousands of places across the world.
- Major features include 4 step significators, house rotations, TSP or theory of short prediction, natal and transit ruling planets.
- Further, it has a very accurate Advance Event Finder. Provides VarshPhala Charts, Tithi Pravesh Charts and more.
- This free astrology and horoscope software now has a new and clean interface that is pretty user-friendly.
- It requires free registration and activation for continuous use.
6. ZET Lite – Western Astrology Software
ZET is a handy astrology program for the professional astrologer, a practical resource for astronomy students, and an excellent training tool for beginners.
- It comes packed with dozens of tools you can use to predict future life trends or events.
- Supports several branches of astrology namely Western modern, European traditional, Uranian, Indian (Jyotish) and others
- Provides natal charts, aspect grid, transits, sandhi table, galaxies, bindhu table, nebulae, constellation, star catalog, Arabic parts, etc.
- ZET allows you to consider the synastry of any two partners in a romantic relationship.
- You can get extended computer-generated interpretations, which is very useful.
- The UI enables you to switch between various views. Further, you can customize the display of each element shown in the UI.
- You can store all the calculations and interpretations into the program database. Also, you can quickly recall previously created charts from the history list.
- A noteworthy function is the Oracle, which allows you to find a quick answer to a question that may be haunting you.
- The Horary Wizard function allows you to get an answer based on the astral significations of the querent as well as the question.
- The paid version of ZET has better features.
- The interface needs more polishing.
7. Astro-Vision LifeSign Mini – Vedic & Western Astrology Software
LifeSign Mini is a simple and user-friendly horoscope generating software based on the Vedic and western astrology systems, providing you with individual predictions.
- Provides precise horoscope reports with various aspects of life, career, marriage, wealth, and more.
- Its transit predictions based on the movement of the planets is pretty accurate.
- Has four Ayanamsa options, including the Lahiri Ayanamsa, Krishnamurthy Ayanamsa, Raman Ayanamsa and Thirukanitham Ayanamsa.
- Gives Panchangam predictions based on weekday, nakshatra, thithi, karana and nithya yoga.
- Lifesign Mini includes a horoscope matching feature, specially meant for marriages. It checks the compatibility and shows matching results based on the star/milan, kuja dosha / manglik dosha, papa samyam and dasa sandhi.
- Can generate Ashtakavarga chart. Shows the transit of Jupiter through various houses and their effects on life.
- Features Dasha & Apahara periods and their predictions. Also has Bhava predictions and finds out various Yogas.
- You can generate any number of horoscope reports for you and your dear ones.
- Requires an active Internet connection.
- Has advertisements that can be annoying.
- Limited features in the free version.
More Interesting Astrology Software For The Curious..
Astrocalc – It brings astrology for everyone. Easy to use, covers most traditional astrological calculations from natal charts to transits, progressions, returns, midpoints, synastry, etc.
Junior Jyotish – Want a quick calculator of Vedic charts? Get Junior Jyotish for Windows PC. It is a beginner’s astrology program using the basic principles of the classical Parashara system.
Morinus – Is a light-weight and multi-platform astrology software built upon the Swiss Ephemeris system. It has a simplistic user interface but is meant for experienced astrologers.
Maitreya – A mature open-source software for Vedic and western astrology. This freeware astrology program has many standard features for the daily work of western and Vedic astrologers.
mPanchang – It allows you to quickly check your daily and monthly Panchang. It also provides Kundli, Kundli Matching, daily horoscope (monthly & yearly as well), Hindu calendar, and much more.
StarLove – Is a sweet little tool to check compatibility for lovers and friends. It compares the birth charts of two people and indicates the easy and challenged areas in their relationship. The prediction engine claims around 80% accuracy.
Head Numerologist – Is a popular numerology software for Windows you can freely download. It reveals your lucky days, dates, colors, and gemstones. It forecasts various aspects of life like nature & personality, health, love, profession & career, etc.
What The Future Holds..?
When you think about astrology, you might think about future tellers, psychics and mainly all types of imposters, but astrology in itself is a science.
It involves complicated mathematical calculations based on astrological positions of various planets and stars at that given point in time.
Before the advent of computers, astrologers calculated huge numbers and other data for hours and maybe even days to get the right kind of prediction. Today, these tiresome calculations can be processed in a click of a button.
The above-listed astrology and horoscope software are trusted and used worldwide by thousands of people in the same profession. The software algorithms are based on original astrological texts and formulas that have been well preserved for centuries.
Use the one that suits your style, and do let us know your opinion on the same.