- Cloud storage simply means a hard drive on the Internet.
- It’s a place to store your files and easily access them from any device, anywhere in the world.
- We’ve rounded up a comprehensive list of best free cloud storage services on the web in this article. Take a look and pick the one that’s right for you.
15 Best Free Cloud Storage Services
How We Tested? We used the Web of Trust score to verify the authenticity and reputation of the website. Further, ease of use, functionality, and free storage space offered by the cloud storage service was also considered.
1. Google Drive
With close to a billion users, Google Drive is the most popular cloud storage service in the world.
- Free storage space: 15 GB | Free max file size: up to 5 TB.
- Google is renowned for its simplicity and ease of use. Google Drive is no exception.
- It’s effortless to share files and folders with others through links.
- It supports a variety of popular file formats. You can preview photos and play videos.
- The file transfer speeds are faster with groundbreaking technologies.
- It comes with some remarkably good third-party apps.
- On the downside, the storage is shared with other Google services. Also, some data privacy concerns remain.
- The Drive gets high marks for minimal design and its growing collaboration features.
- Get Google Drive for iPhone, iPad, Android, or your Mac or Windows computer.
Data privacy typically remains the prime concern for this New Zealand based company.
- Free storage space: 15 GB (additional 35 GB at signup, but it expires later) | Free max file size: Unlimited.
- It comes with a simple drag-and-drop web interface.
- Mega encrypts files on the user’s device even before they are uploaded. That means no one else can see your files, not even MEGA.
- You can easily share both files and folders with others.
- Fully encrypted video chat functionality helps you chat with other collaborators.
- MEGA seamlessly allows you to preview photos and stream media.
- There are certain bandwidth limits. The site design can further be improved.
- It has mobile apps for iOS and Android. It also offers desktop applications for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
3. Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive is the default cloud storage and syncing service for Windows from Microsoft.
- Free storage space: 5 GB | Free max file size: up to 100 GB.
- It provides an enjoyable user experience.
- Can connect to many other Microsoft products like Office Online, Skype, Outlook, etc.
- It offers less free storage than similar services. Its security and privacy features can improve.
- Easily share files with non-OneDrive users.
- The apps are available for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows.
- OneDrive primarily shines in the productivity and collaboration departments.
You might not recognize the name, but if you’re looking for a decent free cloud storage service, pCloud is earnestly recommended.
- Free storage space: 10 GB (can be increased to 20 GB through referrals and other bonus steps) | Free max file size: Unlimited.
- Elegant user interface. Simple to use.
- You can instantly share folders and files with anyone.
- Uniquely, you can back up photos from Facebook and Instagram to pCloud.
- The built-in media player can stream audio and video files.
- Anyone can upload files to your account via a shared URL.
- Based out of Switzerland, pCloud offers best in class privacy and security features.
- Some bandwidth limits are typically present.
- The service is available for all desktop and mobile platforms.
Mediafire is a nifty file sharing and cloud storage site. It attracts well over 1 billion users every year.
- Free storage space: 10 GB (extra 39 GB for inviting friends) | Free max file size: 4 GB.
- MediaFire is faster for both uploading and downloading files.
- There are typically no bandwidth limits.
- Allows sharing both files and folders with anyone.
- You can easily import files from a URL.
- The unique FileDrop feature lets you create public folders that others can use to upload files to your account.
- Ads in the free version can be annoying.
- It has mobile apps for both Android and iOS devices.
Dropbox is one of the first and oldest services to offer cloud storage.
- Free storage space: 2 GB (get extra space for inviting friends and completing simple tasks) | Free max file size: up to 50 GB.
- Dropbox has a reputation for providing a good user experience with its simple and modern design.
- It comes with the built-in Fast Sync feature.
- Easily share files with others through links. You can share files with those who don’t have a Dropbox account too.
- It has an impressive ecosystem of third-party apps that integrate well with it.
- The service has apps for all modern operating systems.
- Despite its popularity, Dropbox offers one of the least generous free storage space among the competitors.
Sync.com is quickly rising the ranks to become a popular cloud storage service among the competitors.
- Free storage space: 5 GB (refer friends and earn more free space up to 20 GB) | Free max file size: Unlimited.
- Sync offers end-to-end encryption with 100% private cloud.
- It has no file-size or upload limits.
- You can effortlessly share files with anyone on the web.
- It is not as fast as other cloud storage services because of an extra layer of encryption.
- Besides, it doesn’t integrate with third-party applications due to security reasons.
- Sync has apps for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android. An intuitive web version is also present.
Box is another good cloud storage and file sharing service which has been around for a long time now.
- Free storage space: 10 GB | Free max file size: 250 MB.
- The user interface is very clean and isn’t confusing.
- Box stores all kinds of files you want.
- You can quickly search through all your files on Box.
- Share files and folders even if the recipient doesn’t have a Box account.
- Box is very well integrated with numerous third-party apps.
- Typically, it is geared towards businesses and enterprises.
- It has mobile apps and desktop sync client.
9. Yandex Disk
It is a dependable cloud storage service by Russian search giant Yandex.
- Free storage space: 10 GB (increase up to 20 GB by referrals & Unlimited storage for photos & videos via the mobile app) | Free max file size: up to 50 GB.
- The user interface is well-implemented for ease of use.
- Files are uploaded over an encrypted connection and are checked by antivirus.
- You can easily share file download links with others.
- It integrates well with third-party apps like Microsoft Office and more.
- It lets you play music and video files. Also, it allows file previews.
- Yandex Disk comes with the unique Deleted File Retention and Versioning features.
- Ads can be a bit annoying. The service adheres to Moscow’s privacy laws.
- Windows, Mac, and Linux users can install a desktop program. A mobile app is available for Android & iOS users.
10. Degoo Cloud
Degoo functions a bit more like a backup service rather than a cloud storage program.
- Free storage space: 100 GB (can be increased to 500 GB through referrals and viewing ads) | Free max file size: Unlimited.
- Every file is usually stored in its original quality.
- Share files with users having no Degoo account. Secure sharing with end-to-end encryption.
- It provides a full-screen stream player to play your music and videos online.
- Data security and privacy concerns are handled well.
- No backup scheduler. It’s a bare-bones free online cloud storage service.
- You can’t upload or access files directly via a browser. You will need to make use of desktop clients available.
- There are apps for Android, iOS, and Amazon Kindle. Degoo is best recommended for smartphone users.
4shared is among the top cloud storage and file sharing websites on the Internet. It is widely accessed by users globally.
- Free storage space: 15 GB | Free max file size: 2 GB.
- Its primary feature is simplicity in pretty much every aspect you can imagine.
- All uploaded files are automatically scanned for possible viruses and malware.
- You can stream video and music files.
- It has a pretty good mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
- There are certain bandwidth limits. The advertisements are very irksome.
- It comes with a handy search feature that allows you to find all files uploaded to 4shared.
Apple’s iCloud is primarily aimed at iOS and macOS users. Sadly, it does very little for users who aren’t one.
- Free storage space: 5 GB | Free max file size: 15 GB.
- The UI seems to be very clean and modern.
- iCloud Photo Library lets you browse, search, and share all the photos and videos.
- Collaborate and work together with others by merely sending a link.
- Apple takes the security of your data and the privacy of your personal information very seriously.
- No official Android app. Poor interoperability with Windows and Android.
- It misses out on a lot of key features in comparison to the competition.
- Apple’s iCloud Drive is worth using, especially if you’re committed to Apple’s ecosystem.
FlipDrive is a pretty ordinary cloud storage service. It typically comes with just the bare essential features.
- Free storage space: 10 GB | Free max file size: 25 MB.
- Securely store documents, music, software, and other files.
- Easily organize and share your photos online.
- You can readily share files with non-FlipDrive users.
- The security is just basic and can be improved.
- Tiny upload file size limit. Slower speeds compared to the competition.
- It is available on Android, iOS, and Windows.
- FlipDrive, in my opinion, lacks a few important features that an online cloud storage service should possess.
IDrive is more of a backup solution than cloud storage. It specializes in providing backup for an unlimited number of your devices.
- Free storage space: 5 GB | Free max file size: 2 GB.
- Best-in-class security as it comes with 256-bit AES encryption and offers personal keys, so you have sole access.
- Incremental and compressed backups save your network bandwidth.
- Snapshots provide a historical view of your data for point-in-time recovery.
- It can backup your social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, and more.
- It has a lot of settings options, a little difficult for beginners.
- IDrive retains up to 30 previous versions of all files backed up to your account.
- The upload speeds are not up to the mark and definitely needs improvement.
- It offers both desktop and mobile applications.
15. Google Photos
If you are looking for an easy way to automatically back up your smartphone’s camera roll, Google Photos is the answer.
- Free storage space: Unlimited (photos up to 16 MP megapixels and videos up to 1080p HD)| Free max file size: NA.
- It offers a basic editing tool with built-in machine learning power. Now, transform photos with a tap.
- The service automatically analyzes photos, identifying various visual features and subjects.
- Your photos are organized and searchable by the people, places, and things in them.
- It can automatically generate animated GIFs from your photos.
- You can also create your own movies, animations, collages, and slideshows.
- You do have the option to store at higher resolutions, but the storage counts against your Google Drive quota.
- The service also lets you scan your old analog photos and store them.
- Google Photos has apps for the Android and iOS operating systems. There is an intuitive web version too.
New Players, Tons of Space
Curious for more? Here are some new free cloud storage services worth checking out!
LetsUpload – Free storage space: Over 1000 GB | Free max file size: Unlimited.
Icedrive – Free storage space: 10 GB | Free max file size: up to 50 GB.
Jottacloud – Free storage space: 5 GB | Free max file size: 250 MB.
Blomp – Free storage space: up to 200 GB | Free max file size: Unlimited.
Koofr – Free storage space: up to 10 GB | Free max file size: Unlimited.
MiMedia – Free storage space: 10 GB | Free max file size: Unlimited.
Cloud Is The Future…
If you don’t yet have a service to store and sync your files in the cloud, you should seriously consider one.
Using a cloud storage service will make your life much more comfortable.
While nearly all cloud services have premium offerings that provide more space, the free cloud storage offered is usually more than enough for most people.
If you appreciate a particular service that we didn’t include, please be sure to let us know about it in the comments.