- There are tens of thousands of websites that offer free software downloads for Windows and Mac on the Internet.
- But many of these download sites claiming to be the best, bundle the software with a custom installer, adware or dangerous malware.
- So, one should always stick to the tried-and-tested download sites where you don’t have to worry about a thing. Softpedia and FileHippo top our list of the best software download websites.
5 Safe & Trustworthy Websites For Downloading Software
How We Tested? We used Google Transparency Report and Web of Trust score to verify the authenticity and reputation of the website. We then obtained data from trusted sources to come up with the list of top software download websites.
Note: The practice of bundling adware or other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) with a few software has become widespread. Please exercise caution about what you click and read all screens carefully during the download and installation process of any software.
It is arguably the largest software encyclopedia with over 1000000+ free and paid applications for multiple platforms.
- All downloads available in Softpedia are original. Softpedia does not repack or modify files in any way.
- Hundreds of software are updated every single day. So, you will always get the latest version when you download.
- Supports high-speed downloads.
- Provides detailed reviews and actual screenshots of the software.
- Softpedia lists only clean and malware-free programs.
- Features both author and user ratings for all software.
- Has a separate section for latest tech news and reviews.
- Downloads available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS.
- The site has ads that are easy to confuse with the actual download link.
A well-known site with handpicked software programs classified into helpful categories.
- No added bundles, installers or toolbars along with the original file.
- Uniquely, FileHippo offers full previous versions of most software that you can download.
- Software updated frequently. They are tested for malware, adware and viruses.
- Their high-speed servers make your downloads faster.
- Easy-to-use interface with crisp software reviews and screenshots.
- Features user ratings and comments for all software.
- Downloads available for Windows & Mac.
- Small catalog of software programs.
- Ads can be confusing with the actual download link.
3. Freeware Files
It is one of the most-visited freeware download websites with a wide array of programs.
- Has a huge collection of free software.
- Original download files with no adware or malware.
- Provides user ratings, reviews and popularity score.
- Features short software description and a screenshot.
- Downloads available for Windows.
- Deceptive ads that could be mistaken for the actual download links.
- Doesn’t always have the latest updates of software.
- No Mac or Linux software listed.
It is one of the most trustworthy download sites on the Internet today.
- They list only free software. No demos or shareware.
- Direct download links, no further redirection or waiting time.
- No adware, no spyware & no bundles.
- Fast worldwide servers for swift downloads.
- Just a single ad unit. No annoying, deceptive or misleading ads.
- Provides user reviews and ratings.
- Software updated often.
- Has a user-friendly interface. Simple and elegant.
- Downloads available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Very few software listed.
5. CNET Download
Download.com needs no introduction in the category of software downloads. Launched in 1996, it is one of the most visited websites in the world.
- It tries to provide malware-free file downloads.
- Supports faster download of programs.
- Software updated regularly.
- Elaborate software reviews and screenshots provided.
- Features intuitive site & user ratings for all software listed.
- Has a very good news and reviews section.
- Downloads available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS.
- The website has loud and distracting advertisements.
- Cluttered user interface.
- Known to have bundled toolbar and adware with the downloads a few years ago. Has improved now!
Special Mention – Ninite
With Ninite, you can install numerous free applications at once.
- Just go to Ninite.com and start ticking checkboxes for the software you want to install on your computer.
- The catalog has all top software programs you would need.
- Once you’re done checking all of the boxes for the software you’d like to install, click the big ‘Get Your Ninite’ button at the bottom of the page.
- Your computer will then download a tiny installer, customized according to your software choices.
- Run it and you will have all the software of your choice installed. It’s that simple.
Ninite is free, elegantly presented, easy to use, saves you a lot of time. And yeah, no toolbars, no crapware & no viruses.
Which Websites Do You Trust?
Which websites do you avoid?
Share your thoughts with us in the comments!